Tuesday 9 August 2011

women's day

just had a good long weekend. It's womens' day today (9th August), a public holiday, so there's not much I can be getting on with. The daughter of my homestay host (Toockey) came for the weekend from pretoria where she is at uni. She was good fun to be around and speaks English like a mother tongue, although because of this, the Zulus apparently call her a coconut (black on the outside, but white on the inside).

While wandering around Lekazi this afternoon, I made quite the faux pas.  I was summoned from across the street by someone (quite a common occurance – usually people wanting to know what a white person is doing wandering round the township). I greeted the man, who introduced me to his sister. She looked quite young, so after greeting her, I asked her if she went to the local high school, Thembeka, which I had just come from - just as a way of finding something in common. “No” she replied, “but my daughter does – she's in grade 10”

No comments:

Post a Comment